COLA surveyors conduct a straight-forward, objective survey of laboratories, assisting them with compliance and understanding of Federal (CLIA) and COLA standards to ensure quality patient care. They are regular, salaried employees who survey with customized, state of the art IT systems.
This position does require travel on a frequent and regular basis. Positions are established in different parts of the country based on the volume of clients COLA has within an area, or the surveyor’s accessibility to a major airport.
This position requires working knowledge of clinical laboratory testing and regulatory requirements. It requires the ability to perform the following processes accurately and efficiently:
- Verify and ensure accuracy of laboratory information in participant database
- Conduct education-oriented surveys of participant laboratories
- Evaluate laboratory documentation for compliance with COLA standards
- Provide technical assistance to laboratories to aid them in implementing changes to improve the quality of laboratory services
- Act as a resource to laboratories on regulatory requirements
- Represent COLA within various medical communities
- Six years experience as a Laboratory Technologist
- Experience as a laboratory generalist (to be able to inspect all types of laboratories conducting testing in any specialties COLA accredits)
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively
- Bachelor’s degree in Laboratory Science plus 6 years clinical laboratory experience OR
- Certification as a Medical Laboratory Technologist by ASCP plus 6 years clinical laboratory experience, OR
- Certification as a Medical Laboratory Technician by ASCP, HEW or AMT plus 10 years clinical laboratory experience.
- Experience acting as a liaison between physicians and other health professions
- Experience providing educational and training activities
- Previous experience in the operation and instrumentation of a POL
- Experience preparing for or conducting on-site inspections of clinical laboratories